Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Just a spoonfull of patience

So at this point in my blog, I have been waiting for my acceptance or denial. It was crazy how excited I started to get. It wasn't even the application that made me excited. I think it was the thought of actually having something after graduation. After my interview I became a little crazy about it. I joined a facebook group and started mulling over the posts in anticipation. There was a thread about rejection that really made me paranoid. Scott told me that I'd be fine and that I shouldn't worry. I think I annoyed a lot of people in the waiting period. I interviewed Feb 27th and the days draaaagged. I couldn't remember what address I used for the application and I was about to go on spring break. aaaah! So I waited. I don't think in a single post I can stress how nervous, excited and curious I was. I mean, since the job search hadn't been going well, its all I had.I had to wait the entire spring break to find out if it came. I was really nervous that it would be there. I drove back Sunday, and got to my mailbox. There was something in there and the only thing showing was a emblem of Disney. It arrived.

The Decision had been made

Fumbling, I opened up the mailbox, I ignored the bank statement from my credit card and ripped open the envelope. Inside, was my fate. Was I good enough? Would I be accepted to work for Disney?
I was so nervous I could have peed my pants. Inside was a big purple envelope. The epitome of success, it was my entrance to a world class organization. I got in! I nearly screamed right there in the mailbox area of Collins Hall. I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait to tell my parents, Kristen and Scott the great news! The purple folder, which has Walt Disney World College Program written on the front had a bunch of stock paper with general information on living, learning and earning on it. It also contained a letter, which I will post later.

My Role

The letter had my role as the second sentence after the best word in the English language, Congratulations. I will be working the Main Gate Operations. Basically I will be there to greet the guests, sell tickets, or do the thumb things at the main gate or help park cars, drive the tram and do the microphone for the tram. I'd rather do the first than the second. I will be making 7.21 which isn't great, but oh well as long as I have some money. I don't want to be totally poor! Before I can Accept the opportunity, I had to figure things out.

Unfinished Business

My dear sister reminded me of my loans that I had out there, so I had to figure out if I could defer a loan, and what I would have to do in order to do it. So I began researching and I found several helpful sites, one of which was studenloan.com whom I have a private loan with. First, I needed to figure out who the hell I have loans out with. Since my father did most of it for the first couple years of college; I had no idea. I went to https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/SaPrivacyConfirmation.do and put in my social, date of birth, first two letters of my last name, and a pin that I had from before. I have about 23,000 in federal loans. The list allows you to look at each one and see who it was from. They were all stanford loans from salie mae, and I went to the salie mae website and found forms for deferment. I called the studentloan.com phone line and got the deferment forms mailed to my house, but was told it was too early to do that still. Basically, as long as you are a half time (between 6 and 11 credits) or full time (12+ credits) student, and enrolled in a college you can defer your loans. yes! So now I have the loan forms but have to wait to defer them. I have to bring the forms to the registrar for them to send out with a status update letter. I hope this is helpful to some others that may need this in the future if anyone else happens to find this.

Acceptance


So after I figured out that I could defer my loans, I went back to wdwcollegeprogram.com and logged into the website with the login that they provide on the letter. I went through tons of screens with the info on living, learning, earning yet again and of course the Disney Look. I had to pick a date to arrive there. It was iether the 20th of May, or the 27th. Since graduation is the 16th there was nooo way I would be able to do the 20th. So the 27th is the one I chose. My program runs from May 27th, 2009 - January 2nd, 2010. Wow such a long time. That means that I will be down there for my mom's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's eve. BUT! I will be down there for gay day, and most importantly; Wine and Food festival! Plus New Years at Disney is kinda cool!

Others like me!

There have been 3 others at Bentley who have also been accepted. I have become kinda a facebook junkie. I check it a few times a day. Yea it's bad. I figured after the first few days it would wear off and it would be business as usual. Not yet. I am still uber excited! On one of the threads, someone is organizing an A capella group like this one. It'd be cool. We're brain storming ideas for names, here are mine:
Wall-E sharps
Spoonfull of A Capella
A capella in Wonderland
Hephalumps and A Capella
Just Keep Singing (thanks to Kristen)

Any other ideas?

More to come later folks! Keep on reading.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Steve!!! I am sure that I will be making a trip down to Disney to visit!

    If you have any questions about your financial aid, don't forget that you can always ask me!

    We need to talk soon because it has been a few months which is way to long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Steve! I am so happy for you. I am sure that I will be making a trip down to visit you!

    Remember, if you have any questions about your aid, you can always ask me...I am a Financial Aid Counselor.

    By the way, we need to talk soon because it has been a few months and that is way to long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Eric! I hope ya do get a chance to visit!

    Am I right in assuming as long as I am a half-time student somewhere, even if I have graduated, that i can defer my loans for a bit?

    Yea it has been a while! Maybe I can make you some chicken since that's all you eat =P

    ReplyDelete